Why do only a few people get to say “I love my job”?

MILE Community Portal
It seems unfair that finding fulfillment at work is like winning a lottery; that only a few lucky ones get to feel valued by their organizations, to feel like they belong.

Share your thoughts.
Discussion started by MILE Madinah, on 1391 days ago
You need to be a member of this community before you can participate in this discussion
John Mulhall
I saw an alarming survey back in 2011 that cited 38% of all high performing employees feel engaged in the workplace and the lower performers come in a substantially lower % rates.

I think on this one, both employee and employer share the responsibility that leaves the employee dreaming of greener fields whilst underperforming in their roles. Some things to consider:

Motivation - Why does the employee candidate want the job? What "motivates" them to want the job, apply for it and come in every morning to work??? Does the employer honestly offer the motivating factors the employee may or may not perceive in the role and/or the company??

Company Culture - Does the employee thrive in the organisational setting (organisational structure & company culture) or does the employee clash with it??

Role Description - Is the employee technically proficient to do at least 80% of the role? If so, is there any room in the role (not a promotion or a lateral move) to "stretch" and learn more to become fulfilled with new learning experiences in the following 2 years or so??

Personality fit - Is the employee personality balanced, engagable by the company's management style, company culture, team dynamics and business practices????? Is the personality functional to the role and position in the company?

Team dynfunctionals - Are there any existing members of staff whom are habital trouble makers, spreaders of discontent in cycles of negativity to the point of getting fired and then winging back under management pressure? Are otherwise engagable employees being intimidated by powerful dyfunctional personalities whom always like to be the "power player"??

Weak Leadership - Is leadership assertive, skilled and timely enough to lead in an engaging manner that effectively addresses destructive dissent whilst delivering vision of the team's objectives in a manner that protects the tangible and intangible aspects of a productive team environment??

I could go on, but I think the above covers the basics as to why down the line, we see disengaged employees.
1389 days ago